Saturday, January 25, 2014

My Strippy Rags...

A brief break from the story.

I made this über cute stripy rag quilt yesterday. 2 jelly rolls of *very* bright pink/orange/red batik and about a yard and a half of *very* bright pink flannel cut into strips.


Super, super easy to make. cut the flannel into strips the same width as your jelly roll (2.5" in this case.) Sandwich the flannel between the jelly roll strips (wrong side out of course) and sew them straight down the middle. I used the jelly roll prints in the order they were on the roll because I liked the way they were laid out there. Also, its the same on the back as it is the front, since I did 2 rolls. Then sew them together with a 1/2" seam, and sew around the perimeter with the same 1/2". You can throw it in the dryer to rag, but I washed and dried it. It takes a considerably amount of trimming because of the long strips (as opposed the cut rag method) but I like the overall look better. Gives it a rather chenille feeling.


With 2 jelly rolls, the overall size is about 22 x 40 inches (after you trim it up.) If you doubled the number or jelly rolls, or used bigger strips, you could do a much larger quilt. The nice part is...it is self quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment